July 2012 - present.
Design and develop client websites. Expand the company's web capabilities.
July 2011 - July 2012.
Be the creative brain behind online media, print, and email publications. Take photos in poorly-lit conditions. Update the marquee outside of Hilton.
Past Position: Summer News Intern
December 2010 - July 2011.
Create fast-paced and innovative weekend morning newscasts. Write copy to engage viewers, set up live shots, select and edit video, time and manage show.
Past positions: General Manager
May 2009 – May 2011
Organize personnel, delegate tasks, and set an agenda for the on-campus television station and student organization. Redesign and maintain website to publish content and promote the station. Produce Newswatch, a live tri-weekly news program.
April 2008 — May 2011
Create and maintain a Scholarship Database system (PHP, MySQL), redevelop and reconstructpublic website to implement user-friendly interface and scholarship search engine, develop and deploy office intranet.
January 2009 - July 2009
Covered the Veishea 2009 story beat. Met with various sources to plan story ideas.
August 2007 — April 2008
Recorded audio and video portions of University lectures, assisted with set-up and tear-down of recording equipment, checked in student equipment, monitored ICN classroom sessions, responded to and fixed classroom technical difficulties.
January 2005 — present
Offer technical support for hardware and software problems; plan, design, and construct websites, computer systems, and media technology for organizations.
June 2007 — August 2007
Assisted with janitorial duties including cleanup, stripping and waxing of floors, and rearranging classroom equipment.
February 2006 — January 2010 [seasonal]
Assist with carry-out, stock materials, organize back room, carry out janitorial duties, offer customer service.
Honors and Awards
- Iowa Broadcast News Association Student Awards
- 2nd Place, General Reporting
- 3rd Place, News Photography
- 2nd Place, Public Affairs ("GSB Debate 2010", Producer)
- 2nd Place, Best Newscast (Anchor)
- Kappa Tau Alpha (2011)
- Phi Beta Kappa Initiate (2010)
- WOI Trust Scholar (2009 & 2010)
- Krogman & Associates LLC Scholar (2008)
- Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity — Active Member (2008)
- Iowa State University Freshman Honors Program (2007)
- Iowa State University Presidential Scholar (2007)
- Iowa Broadcasters Association Quarton-McElroy Scholar (2007)
Iowa State University (Ames, IA)B.S., Journalism & Mass Communications [Electronic Media], B.A., Hispanic Studies
Cumulative GPA: 3.63 / 4.00 May 2011 - Cum Laude
Webster City High School (Webster City, IA)GPA: 3.983/4.000
Graduation: May 2007
- Writing for the broadcast and print media
- Producing quick and punchy newscasts, shooting and editing video, reporting as on-air talent
- Acting as a leader during breaking news situations, organizing live shots, communicating with reporters
- Using social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo) to interact with viewers and integrate with newscasts
- Operating industry-standard studio broadcast equipment (switcher, VTR, audio operation, CG, studio cameras, studio lighting grid)
- Field production equipment (Canon GL2, Canon XH-A1, Canon 550D, field lighting kits, field audio equipment)
- Editing standard definition and high definition video with Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Motion
- Creating print and online publications with Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop
- Developing applications for LAMP/WAMP environments
- Windows Server 2003, Apache, IIS, MySQL 5.0, Eclipse IDE, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
- Knowledge of accessibility standards and requirements
- Bilingual (Spanish: speaking, reading, writing)
- Proven leadership experience in deadline-oriented environments
- Excellent work ethic, self-starter, motivated
Leadership & Volunteer Experience
September 2009 – May 2011
Handle funds and dues, maintain account information within the group.
Previous Positions: Ritual Chair, Sergeant at Arms
August 2009 - May 2011
Handle official chapter correspondence, maintain attendance records. Schedule ritual rehearsals, inventory ritual equipment, take attendance. Observe adherence to proper meeting etiquette.
August 2009 – May 2011
Delegate tasks to members of the committee, maintain public awareness of the fraternity, publish newsletters to local and Midwest District chapters.
August 2009 – December 2010
Lead hundreds of band members onto the field on game days, memorize and conduct music, communicate with Athletics Operations personnel. Teach marching techniques to new members, demonstrate proper rehearsal and performance etiquette, preserve the image of ISU athletics and the ISU Music Department through positive actions.
March 2008 — December 2008
Taught a class of Freshman Honors students in Fall 2008. Created a curriculum and syllabus with a co-leader for the course. Used cooperation and planning to enrich the ISU experience for incoming students.
February 2001 — present
Work with BSA Troop 511 of Webster City, IA to advance through the ranks of Scouting to Eagle Scout. Plan camp outs, organize events, participate in fund raising, teach skills to younger scouts. Planned and acquired materials for a final Eagle project, and carried out project with the help of fellow scouts and community members. Completed more than the required amount of community service hours required to advance through the ranks.
August 2006 — May 2007
Led a football team of over 50 members through practices and games. Encouraged weight room attendance and set expectations and goals. Organized a technical staff for a weekly television news program. Designed graphics, edited video, taught skills to younger members, helped bring program to quality of a nationally-recognized program.